[Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. Opinions are my own but safety and product information is being redistributed from the #NationalBabySafetyMonth posts. Giveaway products are sponsored by MAM and ergoPouch but the giveaway contest is being run by Cut, Craft, Create.]
That's why I wanted to share this information for #NationalBabySafetyMonth (September) and I hope that you'll share these tips with any new (or "veteran"!) caretakers you know. Psst: we're giving away AWESOME BABY PRODUCTS at the end of this post so stay with me til the end!
Safety Tips You Need to Know
September is #NationalBabySafetyMonth, sponsored annually by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). This month-long event increases consumer awareness of baby safety issues and the safe selection and use of baby products. For the past 40 years MAM’s top priority has been the development of products for the well-being, safety and health of babies that make life easier for parents and allow them to focus on the joy of family.
As parents, nothing is more important to us than the safety of our MAM babies. In observance of #NationalBabySafetyMonth @MAMbabyUSA is posting safety tips to help raise awareness of key things we can all do to protect our babies.
- Strap in for Safety. Did you know that falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries in children ages 0 to 19? Daily about 8,000 children in the US visit the emergency rooms for fall-related injuries. This September, JPMA is focusing on strap safety! Safety belts and straps should always be used when available, whether it’s on the go, in the car, and even at home. Visit www.babysafetymonth.org to learn more about how to create a safe environment for your child!
- Always place baby to sleep on their backs. A recent study by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that about 2 in 10 babies are placed to sleep in incorrect positions that greatly increase the risk of SIDS.
Babies should *always* be placed to sleep on their backs. Placing babies to sleep on their sides is just as dangerous as placing babies to sleep on their stomachs, since they are likely to roll over on to their stomachs while sleeping.
- Consider pacifier usage when placing baby down for sleep and remember that the pacifier may not be reinserted once baby falls asleep.Pacifier use is shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. MAM supports the AAP published guidelines for pacifier usage. Check them out here: http://bit.ly/
Read more here if you’re interested in more information about pacifiers and how they reduce the risk of SIDS:
- Before placing a pacifier in baby’s mouth, check to see if there is any damage or signs of weakness. Pull the nipple in all directions and throw away the pacifier at the first sign of damage or weakness. Pay extra attention to your child’s pacifier as teeth emerge, which can occur as early as 1 month. Be sure to replace your baby’s pacifier frequently – once a month or every two months.
- Always monitor your baby’s body temperature. Your baby could be too hot if you notice sweating, damp hair, flushed cheeks, heat rash and rapid breathing. One of the best ways to ensure your baby can regulate their body temperature while they’re asleep is to dress them in natural fibers like cotton, bamboo and merino.
ErgoPouch (pictured) is a great choice when it comes to correctly dressing your baby for sleep. The correct, tog (warmth)-rated swaddle or wearable sleep bag/suit will allow you to not use blankets, which can place babies at risk of SIDS. You can see the complete ergoPouch collection at www.ergopouch.com.
- Ensure that your baby’s crib meets CPSC standards and that everything in your nursery is free of harmful chemicals and toxins. Check that the crib of your choice is not on the CPSC recall list, here: http://bit.ly/cpscCribRecalls. Just as important is ensuring that your baby’s crib is placed away from (1) windows, where drafts and sunlight can put your baby at risk, and (2) drapes/blinds, which are strangulation hazards.
Our friends at Micuna Usa (pictured) offer a collection of safe, stylish cribs made of sustainable materials like solid Beech Wood. Check out their wide variety of cribs here: http://www.micunausa.com/shop-
- Place baby to sleep on a firm mattress covered by a fitted sheet that meets current safety standards. Remove ALL soft objects from the crib: bumper pads, blankets, pillows and stuffed toys. A recent study by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that almost 15% of babies are placed on non-recommended sleep surfaces each night while over 90% of babies have loose, soft objects in their cribs that pose suffocation risks. Please make sure to carefully check your baby’s sleep environment for these dangers to protect their safety.
Looking for a great, breathable crib mattress? Our friends at at Newton Baby (pictured) make Greenguard Gold Certified breathable, washable and recyclable crib mattresses that are specially designed for baby’s health, safety and comfort. The innovative design allows air to flow freely for optimal breathability and temperature regulation. Check out their awesome products at www.newtonbaby.com
- The SIDS institute says give your baby plenty of interactive tummy time. This should never be in a bed, a good place for this is on the floor. Never leave baby on their stomach unattended. Play with baby as he/she does baby push-ups.
Gathre offers a great selection of wipeable, waterproof bonded leather mats -- functional pieces that appeal to the modern mom's personal aesthetic. Choose the perfect mat for playtime with baby at www.gathre.com!
- MAM pacifiers come in four sizes: newborn, 0-6, 6+ and 16+.
Each size was developed with pediatric dentists and developmental psychologists to provide your baby with the ideal pacifier at each age and stage.
These sizes are recommendations for your baby’s maximum comfort and safety; if your baby likes a MAM pacifier that is not the ideal size for his or her age, not to worry! It is still safe to use as long as all other safety guidelines http://bit.ly/
Now that you're "in the know" on these amazing safety tips, let's help you practice them! One winner will be chosen to win a $40 MAM gift package (which includes the new perfect pacifier, bottles, teethers, drinking cups and oral care items) as well as an ergoPouch ergoCocoon swaddle sleep bag! Just follow the prompts on the widget below to enter!a Rafflecopter giveaway
MAM combines technological innovation, medical function and contemporary design to develop superior baby care products that support a baby’s development from day one. Since MAM developed its first pacifier in Vienna in 1976, it has evolved to become a global authority on baby care product design and quality. Today MAM products are used by families in over 60 countries and on six continents. To find out more and view MAM’s baby care range of award-winning pacifiers, bottles, cups, teethers, oral care items, coordinating accessories and gift sets visit www.mambaby.com.
About ergoPouch & the swaddle sleep bags
The ergoCocoon ‘no origami’ baby swaddle sleep bags are designed to be both easy to use and difficult to escape from. The simple zip up design will keep baby snug and securely swaddled without the need for complicated wrapping. Made from skin-friendly, breathable organic cotton for superior comfort, the ergoCocoon is acknowledged as ‘hip-healthy’ by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute for its ergonomically designed bell shaped bottom which provides extra leg room for healthy hips. For those bubs that like a little more freedom or are ready to transition out of a swaddle, the ergoCocoon has poppers in the armholes that can be used to convert from a swaddle to a sleeping bag. Tog rated for warmth, there is an ergoPouch swaddle to suit every season. For more information visit ergopouch.com.
Melbourne, Australia-based ergoPouch was founded in 2009 by Alina Sack. As a mother, Sack drew on her own personal experiences of sleep deprivation to come up with innovative products designed to help babies and kids get a better night’s sleep. The award-winning ergoPouch collection includes premium quality baby swaddles, sleeping bags and sleep suits available from birth to 6 years of age sizing. All ergoPouch products are made with natural fibres including Organic Cotton, Bamboo and Merino. ergoPouch products offer great functionality and versatility with swaddles that can easily transition to a sleeping bag, and sleep suits that convert from bags to suits with legs for easy use from bassinet to stroller.
For more information visit www.ergopouch.com.